Monday, August 18, 2014

4 Eternally Secure Things

     I just wanted to share some quick thoughts from a recent sermon that I thought might be helpful. There are very few truly secure things in this world. Almost anything we have is fragile and could be taken away tomorrow. However, as a Christian, I can be thankful for a few things that, once received, are eternally secure because they are based in something unchangable: the actions of Christ.

Things that can't be taken away:
  1. My Salvation.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Ephesians 2:8-9
     I'm thankful that I am not saved from an eternity in Hell by my good works. Good works should naturally follow if someone has accepted Christ as their Saviour, and salvation without good works will never be the sort of reproducing faith that leads others to Christ. However, I am saved because I have chosen to trust in Jesus Christ, and what He did on the cross as the payment for my sin debt.

     My salvation was never about MY actions, but about His. Since nobody could go back in time and undo what He did in being born to a virgin, living a perfect life, offering Himself a “spotless lamb” on the cross, being buried for three days and nights, and then coming out of that grave in victory over death, my salvation can never be in danger. My good works didn't get me saved, and my good works don't keep me saved.

     There's a reason Satan tried from the beginning of time to stop God's plan of Salvation. Once Christ died, was buried, and rose again, salvation was secured for all who would repent and place their trust in Him. It could NEVER be undone.
  1. My Peace.
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. - 1 John 4:18
     Since the sacrifice of Jesus can never be undone, and my salvation cannot be taken away, I can have peace in my life. Peace with God, which is an abiding peace. Certainly I will have trials and tribulations in my life, but they are all temporary. At the deepest level, at my core, in my very soul I can have peace in knowing I am eternally secure in the hand of the Father.
I might, like everyone, be nervous sometimes about the unknown in my life, but my ultimate destination is known. My ultimate condition is known.
Jesus said it best in John 16:33, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
  1. My Joy.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: - 1 Peter 1:3-8
     What a blessed reminder, “though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice.” This means my joy, my rejoicing is based in the fact I have believed on (and continue to trust in) Jesus Christ.
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. - Philippians 4:4
     It doesn't say “rejoice in your current situation.” Sometimes our current situation is no fun at all. You will go through some very hard times. You might be going through one right now. But I can smile in the midst of trouble because the source of my joy is a fact that can never be undone: “God loved me and rescued me from eternity in Hell and the bondage of sin on this earth!”
     Why do you think Paul and Silas were singing at midnight in the Philippian jail? Not because they were happy to be in jail. They were rejoicing in the Lord. The world has taken this idea and tried to adopt it: “When you're feeling stressed or sad, just close your eyes and go to your happy place.” There's only one eternal happy place, and I'm a resident there thanks to something that can never be undone, the finished work of the Saviour.
     Happiness is a surface emotion. Happiness can be taken away by circumstances. “Joy unspeakable and full of glory” is something placed deep in my heart by my Lord, and no one can touch it.
  1. My Reason for Serving.
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. - Colossians 3:23,24
     Do you know the hardest thing about serving God by serving people? People aren't always kind, appreciative, or accepting of help. Sometimes they can be downright mean and hateful. You'll invest in them, devote yourself to helping them, leading them, teaching them, and they'll go out and do the things that hurt you the most. It's enough to make you want to quit.

     I read recently that 1500 pastors quit each month, and that only 10% of pastors will still be serving at retirement age. I understand that, but I could never quit. I know that, by comparison to many pastors I am fairly young, but from where I stand right now, the idea of quitting would mean I was serving for the wrong reason in the first place.
     Yes, the ministry can be a somewhat thankless job at times.... but I don't quit because the reason for serving is that Jesus died for me, and that never changes.     Never let people's reaction stop you from serving in the way you should. You serve because of what Christ did, not because of what others will do.

IN SUMMARY:
What is the basis of our salvation?  Jesus died for us.
Why do we have abiding peace?  Jesus died for us.
Why do we have joy?   Jesus died for us.
Why do we serve?  Jesus died for us.
     None of those things can ever change, because what Christ did can never be changed. Any time we feel weary, or begin to waiver on any one of those things, we need to look back to the cross.

For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. - Hebrews 12:3

No comments:

Post a Comment